Monday, May 02, 2005

Dead Day...The end of Pledging as we know it!

Okay, so today was an interesting day. The first big thing for me today was going to a meeting with Mike Spell and the other social clubs to draw for rushes for the Fall pledge season. Ran into Jordan from my SBC on the way, which was nice b/c I hadn't seen him in a few weeks.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed at the meeting was that some of the girls club reps were there, even though they did drawings an hour before we (the guys clubs) were supposed to be there. Found out the reason was so Mike could give us a written work in progress as to the new rules pledging. Lots of changes! First thing: no jogs or runs or "physical training" of any kind! For Pi Kappa, that means no Jericho Jogs, which is a big part of our pledging, and which we have a good purpose for doing. Anyway, the reaction for the whole group (especially Alpha Kai, surprisingly) was a very rebelious one, and I don't really blame everyone for feeling that way. We had that big meeting two Saturdays ago where we were told we would be given a chance to change the way we do pledging. Well, now they are telling us that they decided for us. As Billy put it later in the day, "You teach (as they did on Saturday) to empower people. You don't teach then tell." Well put my friend!

Anyway, they also said no pledge teams. Teams must now be as much of a 50/50 member/pledge mix. I really felt for GSP and Galaxy, because their members have to try out. I tried to help get a solution and talked with some of the GSP guys, just because that sucks for them and I wanted to help. Also, the new rules said that the purpose should be Club Unity, not Pledge Class Unity. So, no activity for pledges alone, including Float, breakfast, etc.

At 2pm (the meeting started at 12:30pm), we finally got to to draw for rush times. Bishop and I kinda wished some of our other officers had been there, even though Mike told them not to worry about coming. I just hope this all works out, but it might be ugly.

Tonight we also had Bishop's Bachelor party tonight at the house, which was a lot of fun. I think he got 3 drills, which was funny! Also went over to Levi's to was WWE. Those guys are always fun to be around. I left Levi's early to go meet with our Pres., VP, Pledge Director, and Bishop to talk about today and what we are going to do. Who knows...

BTW, the best thing I learned at the meeting today:
"It is an honor to play with the Siggies!" -Siggie leader person

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home