Monday, May 09, 2005

It's all about Family, My Old Kentucky Home

Okay, so maybe it isn't my old Kentucky home, since I've never lived in this house. My parents moved across the community after my Sophomore year, and all my stuff (bedroom furniture, clothes, etc) is in Abilene. Anyway, this is still like home, especially church family.

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I had been planning on coming home today (Monday), until I realized that I would miss Mother's Day by one day...not acceptable. So, I altered my plans a little bit. I still went to the Rangers game Friday night with my sister and bro-in-law (we lost 8-6 because Pedro Astacio couldn't get out of the 1st inning!). I then went back to Abilene to finish a few things, then left Abilene at 5pm Saturday for Kentucky. Yes, I said 5PM. I stopped by Lesli's (my sister) and picked up her M. Day gifts for Mom and G-ma. I got out of Dallas around 9pm after getting gas, drove all night, and arrived in Paducah, Kentucky around 6am.

I had called Dad Saturday evening to let him know I was on my way, but not to tell M0m. So, when Mom got up and heard a deep "Good Morning" from the couch, she was a little surprised! To make the surprise even better, Grandma was at church and also didn't know I was coming. I found out at church that Mom had told some people the day before that she expected me in a week later, so that made it even more fun! Also, I love my home church family!! Even though my parents haved moved houses, I always feel like I've "come home" when I show up at church because of those people! Worship was great, which is an added bonus! Singing beside my mom is always fun for a couple of reasons. First, she sings Tenor, and that's fun. Second, she always looks at me and smiles (or some sort of reaction) when I sing deep bass. Communion was extra special because G-ma was beside me. Grandma goes to the Baptist church of the community, so having her there is always special. I'm a big believer in the community aspect of communion, so that made for a special Sunday. Those people in that building...they're my Old Kentucky Home.

After service I got to talk to and hug a lot of people. Kacey asked if I was going to go to Youth care group. I told her sure, even though I've been out of the youth group for 4 years now! After Jacob and Clint graduate, I don't know that I'll go anymore. But never say never, they always say!

We went to Ryan's Steakhouse for lunch. Chuck Hank (or chank, as i used to call him) and Andy and Randy Williams went with us. Andy and Randy brought their daughter Ali (sp?), and she was the focus most of the time, and rightfully so! She's cute and eats everything! Oh, and Andy is a guy I met at ACU back when I was a student recruiter, and this was the first time I've seen him here. He works with the Christian Counseling Center here.

The rest of the day didn't have as many details. Mom made me take a long nap (I really wasn't given a choice). Andy picked me up for the care group. He did a good lesson on communion that I think may have gotten some of the youth group thinking. We ordered pizza and played around with sports stuff. We tried to play Ultimate Frisbee, but it was hard to see. Andy hurt his knee. He said he thinks he ran into my leg, but I didn't feel anything. I rode home with Jacob "Fuzzy" Young, got to listen to his system. Speaking of him, he just called to see if i wanted to eat with him tonight at Mr. Gatti's or something. Not sure what my plans are, but maybe that'll work. I'm supposed to go see him play Varsity baseball tomorrow, but it might get rained out. Hopefully not.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Lesli said...

I'm glad you're home and having fun!!

Love ya,
Sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home