Friday, January 06, 2006

Jeans and Money

I saw this Ameritrade commercial where a teenage girl come in to the room and asks her dad for $80. There's a whole story about investing, but my point is this. The dad still gives the $80 to the girl in the end. EIGHTY DOLLARS FOR JEANS!! I understand the general concept of higher price equals higher quality. It isn't always true, but I understand it. But when it comes to jeans, that doesn't apply. You might be able to say that "Wal-Mart" brands aren't as good as, say, Banana Republic, American Eagle or the Gap. I'll give you that (only because it isn't the point of my arguement). I'm talking more about the difference in name brands. Banana Republic costs more than the Gap. But what most people don't realize is that it's the same company, Gap Inc.! As with many companies with this set-up, they probably were made in the same factory if not at least the same type factory. Can you really tell me that Banana Republic jeans will last longer than Gap jeans?!
I think the Gap is too expensive, so I'm not taking up for them. Actually, it can't be that great of a company considering their products are so expensive, but they still managed to go bankrupt in the early part of this century. But here is my point. I'm a person who considers the Gap and AE to be high class. Not in quality, but only for the image they attempt to project. Old Navy cheaper than both of these. But they also are owned by Gap Inc. So, consider this: You could buy Old Navy jeans for $25-$30*, Gap jeans for $45-$50*, or Banana Republic jeans for $80-$125*. Knowing that all three are under the same parent company, Gap Inc., would you really buy either of the latter two?
My best pair of jeans I bought on sale for $19.99 at American Eagle. I usually freak if they are more than $25. I don't know what I would do if who I wanted to be required me to spend $50-$100 (or more) on jeans. I guess I'd only own one pair and have no shirt, underwear, socks, or shoes. Most people I know aren't dumb enough to fall into this trap. Thank you Mom for giving me a sense of worth when it comes to clothing.

*Prices found at oldnavy.com, gap.com, and bananarepublic.com, respectively. Sales prices were not taken into consideration.

2 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Lesli said...

Well written!! I completely agree. I have 1 pair of Gap jeans in my closet at the moment and they were $20 off!! Plus, why spend the hundreds more when they will probably be out of style next year!

Hope you're having a good weekend! We got our bed this weekend!! :)

Love ya bro!,
Lesli

 
At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But she's so cute.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home