Friday, February 01, 2008

Mr. Reliable

So, it's 2 o'clock, Saturday morning, February 2. I should be at my apartment, in my bed warm and asleep, right?? Well, of course not! Where am I instead? Why, the wonderful Downtown Nashville Sheraton working the 11pm-7am shift after having worked 7am-3pm today! YAY!

Just as Kacey and I were about to go out to see the movie Michael Clayton (sorry Stephanie, totally forgot to tell him, "hi."), who is actually George Clooney, my Contract Manager Aaron calls me on my cell. Whenever he calls and I'm not already at work, it's never a good sign. So, when I answered it was more of a, "Hey..." out of my mouth than any normal greeting you would give when answering the phone (ie. "?Bueno?" [I really wish I could do the upside-down question mark when typing...if you know how, tell me] [Kacey will be proud of me for using brackets inside the parenthases]). Hey informed me that our normal 3rd shift person couldn't come in because of some car problem, blah blah. He wanted to see if I could cover 3rd Shift or the next morning's 1st Shift (Saturday). But knowing that I already had plans for Saturday, I didn't really want to give that up. So, I asked him to keep calling around to the other properties and give me a call back around 10pm. He also said he would call back the 3rd shift person to see if he could get her a taxi.

Instead, Aaron calls back 15 minutes later and provides one of the best quotes I've heard in a while. When I asked him if the 3rd shift person could come, he said, "No." I asked why, and he said (no joke), "Car something. Baby something. Something, Something, Something." I died laughing, which is great b/c I should have been peeved at the thought of working.

So, yeah, I'm here. And it's cold. Kacey said I'm too nice and sweet. And I don't really agree with that. When Aaron said he appreciated it and I was his favorite, I said, "Well, you should," and "Yeah, I should be," respectively. A nice, sweet person doesn't say that. They say things like, "I would love to help," or, "It would be my pleasure." None of that came out of my mouth. But it did remind me of when one of the guys at work called me Mr. Reliable, meaning I could always be counted on to stay a a couple extra hours or pick up an emergency shift. So, I guess that's another name for me, Mr. Reliable.

One positive is, since I worked my 40 hours already, I'm getting overtime for this at the 11p-7a pay...so, that's always good. And, even though it's a Friday night, it's actually been kinda slow, so I'm in the office for a few minutes thawing out. Kacey was a sweetheart and brought me coffee and a muffin at midnight to go along with the two energy drink I already bought. I'm a pretty blessed guy!

Oh, and if any of you are planning on calling me Saturday morning before lunchtime, please....don't. :o)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mr. Reliable and his girl "Muffin" - sounds like a really lame superhero and his girly sidekick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home