Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Christian Conferences: 2nd Post Today!

Yes, this is the second one today. It's about something that's been in my head for a while to blog about, so I figured I'd go ahead tonight with it.


Christian Youth Conferences. Christian Conferences. Large Christian gatherings. As a Christian myself, nothing frustrates me more in my job. There are three things I never want to hear as a valet supervisor, and CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE is definitely one of those three! You see, Christians are an interesting folk in large groups. I'm not judging your every-day Christian interacting in the normal world while they work their "normal" job. No, I'm talking about those who travel to things like "The Call" and "Luis Palau Festivals." The people who are there for there "Christian" shindig, but forget they are supposed to be Christ-like on their way there and back. I saw a book in the bookstore with Mike that had a title something like "God I'm Fine With, It's Christians I Don't Like." Such an appropriate title, especially for anyone in the Service/Hospitality industry.

One thing that frustrates me is the way in which they (the "Christians") affect my ability to "minister" to any of the people I work with...EVER! "The Call" was over 6 months ago, as was "Luis Palau," but my guys STILL talk about it with disdain! They don't forget. Why? Part of it is, right when they start to forget, some other Christian Conference will come in to remind them. Another part is because a seed has been planted, a bad one. And it works the same as a good seed being planted. You might be wondering exactly how it is that these conference participants create such disdain. So, here's just a couple:

1)Not treating hospitality staff with respect. I'm not meaning you have to be the nicest person in the world (though that doesn't help). But realize that you will close and open your own doors for ministry by the way you treat others. And, selfishly, realize that you'll get better service by the way you treat the staff. Just use your manners...and your brain!

2)Tip. If you are using services that you would normally see get tipped in a movie (valet, bell, wait staffs), then that's what you are supposed to do too! Each state is different. But in TN, those who work in that industry can be paid as low as $2.13/hour by their company. This means, pretty much, their livelihood is tips. So, they aren't just doing this job because they enjoy it. It pays the bills. Sometimes, when someone "stiffs" us offers just a "Thank You," we will pass that "Thank You" around to the whole team, since we tip pool. I usually take the "th." But, as a Christian, if you do not ever tip, you might as well be preaching about lolly pops, because it will matter that much to the valet, bellman, or whoever. (For the uneducated, because I get asked this all the time, $2 is average for Valet per service. $1 per bag is the old gold standard for Bell Service. $4-$5 should probably be the minimum for the whole bellrun. A full, heavy bellcart should be higher.)


If you are thinking, "Well, our youth kids don't always listen," or "Have you tried directing a large group that won't listen?" remember two things. The first is, I'm not talking about youth kids. Teens are a whole 'nother breed, but they wouldn't be the ones we are dealing with anyway. It's the adults that are the problem. And, yes, I have directed groups that wouldn't listen. But that still doesn't affect how you treat others. Frustrate you, yes. But don't take it out one those who are trying to serve you, that's just not cool.


I know that none of the people who read my blog are like this, but if you want to pass on this info to people, it would make my job much easier, and chance of ministry much higher!!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Lesli said...

I'm so sorry that's the case. You are right. A seed is a seed. It is really, really hard to undo what others can plant in a negative way!!

Terrell's sermon a couple of weeks ago was about how non-Christians perceive Christians. It did not shock me at all because I have heard the same from friends. I've even felt that way at times. It is so hard to combat that perception!!

I hope God gives you great opportunities to minister to those you're working with & those you serve! Love ya!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Preach on Brother! I so HATE it when the people I am with are rude . . . generally this regards waitress/hostess people. I could go on and on about this, but I may blog myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home